8. Tétel - Reading; television, video, cinema - Szabadidő - olvasás, televízió, videó, mozi

• reading (books, newspapers, libraries, Internet)
• TV, cinema, video
• reading vs TV
• TV vs cinema

I think reading is a very useful pastime. I like reading interesting books because I can relax with it.
People go to a library to borrow books and cassettes, read newspapers and magazines, photocopy materials, listen to music and use computers. 

It’s oftener that we buy the newspapers. In Hungary there are local and national daily papers. The local papers tend to concentrate on the news of the county and write only short articles on world and national news. As for the national daily papers, there are two basic types. One is quality papers which focus on more serious issues and try to cover all kinds of topics. Newspapers belonging to the other group, tabloids, concentrate on sensational news, such as murders, tragedies and stories on famous people. The headlines are sometimes provocative, using big letters. The articles are short and there are lots of pictures.

The British are a nation of newspaper readers. Many people even have a daily paper delivered to their homes in time for breakfast.

British newspapers can be divided into two groups too: quality and popular (tabloid). Quality newspapers are more serious and cover home and foreign news thoughtfully while the popular newspapers like shocking, personal stories as well as some news. These two groups of papers can be distinguished easily because the quality newspapers are twice the size of the popular newspapers.

Of course the press means more than newspapers. A vast range of magazines and weeklies is published, aimed at readers interested in all sorts of subjects. In fact, there are magazines for practically every special interest you can imagine. There are women’s magazines, gourmet cooking magazines, or magazines dealing with gardening, science, cars, motorcycles, computers, modeling, home decorating, fashion, sports, body building, film, theatre, music, news magazines and so on.

I love books. I love to read especially tales to my daughter. I buy books by internet because it’s comfortable and cheaper than I buy books in the bookshops. 

In my opinion, people prefer watching films to reading. Watching films is less demanding than reading books after a tiring day at work or at school. Although cinema tickets are quite expensive, so are books.

People not only watch what is on TV but watch videos and DVDs. It’s better because there isn’t commercial during the film. I understand that commercials are important for channels and sometimes provide useful information for everybody. They can also be quite entertaining, though I hate it when the film that I’m watching is interrupted at the most interesting part with commercials.

In my opinion, TV contributes to our social life. People like talking about TV programmes. For example, they discuss all kinds of information on the characters of soap operas, try to guess what will happen to them in the next episodes and talk about the actors’ and actresses’ private lives. They also like criticising the way presenters talk and dress.  

I prefer those channels which broadcast documentaries and films on nature, animals and fabulous events. I often watch tale channel with my daughter, we have lots of favourite programmes. I watch the news every day because I like to know what is going on in the world. I also enjoy watching quiz shows and comedies. 

We go to multiplex cinemas in big plazas where we go to not only for the sake of the film, but also to enjoy ourselves with our friends before or after the film. Usually we have dinner there before the cinema.

I mostly listen to the radio while driving. I like channels which offer programmes with few commercials and lots of music. I also like programmes which provide news every hour or half an hour and information on town traffic and road conditions.

Mass media is a phrase often used to describe ways of giving information and entertainment to very large numbers of people. It includes newspapers, advertising and radio and of course, television.